Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Distraction

I have been attempting to establish a meditation practice.  I did a 28 day online program via Yoga Journal, and recently purchased an app for my kindle fire called insight timer which is pretty cool.  You can set you preferred length of time, choose from a variety of start and finish bells and even have interval bells.
This morning right after I started the timer I heard my daughter get out of bed.  She rattled around in her room, or the bathroom or the hedgehog's bedroom.  (yes, hedgie the hedgehog has her own room) Within 3 minutes or so, she comes into my room.
I briefly tell her, "I'm meditating, wait for the timer to finish."
She takes a seat near me on the floor.  For about 30 seconds.  From there she climbs onto the bed an fidgets around a bit.  At some point she turns on the TV and continues to whistle and fidget and be as distracting as possible.
When the timer finally chimed, I turn to her and say: "That was very distracting."
She says: "What?  The bell?"

No comments:

Blog Archive